10 Years Building a Solid Foundation!
In 2017 Just Economics will celebrate our 10th Anniversary of successful work building a more just and sustainable local economy. In 2007, Just Economics grew out of the Asheville Buncombe Living Wage Campaign and helped to pass the first part of our Living Wage policy with the City of Asheville. From those humble beginnings, our small but mighty organization has had some impressive results, including:
- Successfully advocated for the passage of Living Wage policy with Asheville, Buncombe County, Weaverville, Montreat, and Canton.
- Graduated more than 140 low-income people in our Voices for Economic Justice program lifting the voice of low-wage workers in the public dialogue.
- Built the largest voluntary Living Wage Certification Program in the country with over 400 employers putting more than a million dollars a year in the hands of low-wage workers and the local economy!
- Educated, Advocated, and Organized around economic injustice in Buncombe County and Transylvania County!
- Launched the People’s Voice on Transportation Equality, a campaign to improve the bus system led by people who ride the bus out of necessity, successfully advocating for important changes like Sunday Service
10 Years of Impact Infographic
2016 Successes Infographic
2015 Successes Infographic