In March 2008, JE launched our Living Wage Certification Program, which identifies and promotes local employers that pay a Living Wage. Although the program originated in Buncombe and Transylvania, we now have employers in several counties in WNC. Over the past two years, we have Certified 300+ local businesses. It is FREE to get your business certified and only takes 10 minutes of your time!
Our program is an innovative approach to addressing the living wage issue; it is by far the largest of its kind in the country.
The Certification Program aims to reward existing Living Wage Certified Employers in our community, to provide employers with tools and incentives to increase workers’ wages up to a living wage, to connect consumers to employers that provide a living wage ,and to promote a just and sustainable local economy. It is a great way for a local employer to set themselves apart in our community, to promote the fact that they acknowledge the value of their employees and to be rewarded for it by local consumers who understand the value of a living wage.
• Pay at least the current Living Wage to all regular full- and part-time employees, which is $11.85/hour without qualifying employer provided health insurance, or $10.35/hour with employer provided health insurance.
• A Certified employer may pay a wage that is less than the living wage to employees who are under 18 years old; employees who are in a probationary period or hired temporarily (limited to 3 months); to interns, apprentices, and tipped employees that meet our criteria.
• A certified employer may use benefits that affect basic needs (food, housing, transportation, health care) as an offset to the wage criteria.
- “Living Wage Certified” emblem for display at your place of business.
- Publicity through advertisements in local media outlets, such as the Mountain Xpress.
- Free promotion of your business through the Just Economics 1,100+ member mailing list, 2,500+ Facebook Fans, and our printed lists.
- Special profile of your business on the Just Economics website.
- Participation in high-profile press conferences and JE events aimed at promoting the Living Wage Employer Certification Program and the employers that meet our criteria.
- Being part of a growing network of local employers dedicated to building a more sustainable economy.
-Discounts from other Living Wage Certified Businesses in the network and our community partners, such as:
Are you a Living Wage Certified Business interested in sponsoring Just Brew It? Click Just Brew It 2013 Sponsor Document